This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

project will not build

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:01 AM

I downloaded the latest source code and several files are missing, mostly the codecs files and the rs485 files.

By the way, your project looks very interesting.  I am looking to connect a netdunio controller(master) to 20 devices in a series over 4-wires (8-wires if it helps). RS-485 with full duplex should take care of it, I just need to make sure the slave devices don't collide with each other while talking back to the master.

~Alex

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

My apologies for the chaos, I'm new with Git and I messed up the source files. Now it should be correct.

About your project, the library can do what you need, but you should take care about the hardware. For instance, there's no need of 4 wires (nor 8), but a simple pair is enough. The problem is on the distance, and on the physical driver. If the boards are pretty close (let's say below one meter), the connection is simple, but I guess the distances are much higher. In such a case, you should provide a good driver, better if opto-isolated, and a shielded twisted pair cable. Upon these conditions, you may reach up to 1.2 km @ 9600 bit/s.

Cheers